People love sleep. It does not matter what culture they come from, how old they are, or what they do in life, people treasure the ability to sleep and to sleep well. A lack of sleep can make or break a day. When someone does not sleep well, they are more likely to be impatient with their friends and family, have difficulty concentrating on their work, and lack motivation to get through the day. If you are someone who has a hard time sleeping, consider making these 3 changes:
- Rearrange the bedroom. How your room is set up can affect how well you sleep. In general, people sleep better if:
- Their bed is situated to where they are able to see the door of the bedroom at all times. If the back of the bed faces the door, causing a person to be unable to see the door, it tends to increase a person’s feelings of insecurity.
- There is not a desk in the bedroom. By having a desk in a bedroom, people tend to feel like they are always at work. No desk in the bedroom makes a person feel like the bedroom is truly a room for rest.
- There are no bright colors. Bright colors are going to make people feel awake and more anxious. Look around your bedroom and replace the bright colors with neutral colors. The neutral colors will help you feel more relaxed and at peace, helping you sleep better at night.
- There are good window shades. People sleep best when the room is dark. Check the curtains, shades, and blinds you have covering your windows. Make sure that they provide you with the darkest room possible.
- Get rid of any items that light up. Any type of electronic device that has a light that stays on during the night is going to be a distraction. That item is going to keep you from optimizing your sleep. The computer light that keeps blinking, the alarm clock that stays bright, or the phone that lights up with every text is going to disturb your sleep. Either replace the device or place it in a location that will not affect your sleep.
- There is no clutter in the bedroom. The more things you have in your bedroom, the harder it is going to be for you to have a good night’s rest. A cluttered bedroom can result in feelings of stress. The more belongings in a room, the less likely a person is going to have a sense of rest and comfort when being in his or her bedroom.
There are many reasons as to why people are unable to sleep at night. Making the three changes above is going to help you sleep better at night, but it won’t necessarily solve all of your problems sleeping. Having caffeine late in the afternoon, living in a noisy neighborhood, or going through a difficult time is also going to contribute. The first step is finding out what is causing you to have trouble sleeping. Once you figure that out, you can work at fixing the cause.